In the Zone!

I'm happy to say that this has been a productive knitting week for me. I have a few updates- including a finished object- WOO HOO! My
Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief is officially off the needles and currently blocking. I made a few modifications to the original pattern- using a fingering weight yarn rather than DK, extending the stockinette sections, adding beads to every other K2TOG in the Garter/Eyelet section, and keeping the center stitch in stockinette rather than garter. The beading was a bit time consuming (as beading generally is), and the end rows were so long I was eager to be done with it, but I absolutely LOVE how it turned out! The yarn bled a bunch when I soaked it, but I suppose that's why we soak. I'd rather have blue rub off on my hands than a white blouse. All in all, the fiddly aspects of the project were definitely worth it and can't wait to pair this with my denim jacket and a cute skirt. Hurry up and get here, Spring!
Here she is blocking (not pictured, me staring at the clock):

Once this was all pinned down, I walked from the blocking boards straight to my stash to get some inspiration. I picked up this lovely skein of Malabrigo Worsted in the Brillante colorway from Mind's Eye Yarns in Porter Square about a week ago- it jumped right out at me. I decided it needs to become a cute, lacy hat to wear while I wait for warmer weather to finally reach the Northeast.
Here it is all caked up- is it not just stunning?
Love the purples, and Malabrigo yarn is always such a joy to knit with. I just have to find the right needles and cast on for Natalie Larson's (aptly named) Spring Beret.

In other knitting news, I also cast on for another pair of socks- surprise, surprise. I've been really into socks lately, especially self-striping sock yarn. After I finished the pair of Vanilla Latte socks with the Felici yarn from KnitPicks that had been languishing in my stash for ages, I went to get more only to find out it was DISCONTINUED! WHAT?! Total bummer. Thus began my quest for more self-striping sock yarn (and acquiring some unwanted Felici from my sister, who is wont to knit socks). I got a skein of Cascade Yarns Heritage Prints in the Cotton Candy color from Stitch House a while back and I've got about an inch or so of ribbing done already. This will be my in-between project that I keep on my nightstand or bring with me to Knit Night, so I plan to keep it as simple as possible- no rush on finishing this pair, just preparing for next Winter!

For stash enhancement this week, I acquired the most amazing skein of White Birch Fiber Arts sock yarn- the color is called Nothing Says Screw You Like A Rainbow! I was basically sold after reading the name. It is approximately 400 yards and 80% superwash merino with 20% nylon, so these socks will be hard wearing as well as gorgeous. Take a look at how they'll knit up and tell me these won't be the greatest, most wonderfully rainbowlicious socks ever- I can't wait!
White Birch Fiber Arts is definitely worth stalking on Etsy- when the updates go live they sell out really quickly, so you need to act fast.

I think that's about it for now. I'll update when my Age of Brass and Steam is off the blocking mats and around my neck (check Instagram- I'm sure there'll be a selfie up soon). The Gather Here Sidewalk Sale is this weekend- so that's pretty much a guarantee that more yarn will find its way into my house, and I'm totally okay with that.

Comments

Popular Posts