A New Record

This was another great week for knitting- and one more week where I actually finished a project! Super impressed with myself.
I am in love with my striped socks knitted out of Cascade Heritage Prints- they are warm and comfy, and it makes me happy to look at them. Self striping yarn definitely makes the socks just fly off the needles. I even got the stripes to match up perfectly, thanks to a bit of diligence and copious note taking.
Next time I work with self striping sock yarn, I think I'll try an afterthought heel instead of my go to Fish Kiss Lips heel- that way the stripe pattern stays in tact. Not that the interruption bothers me much on this pair, but it's a technique worth learning-- and when I finally do knit up some rainbow socks out of my highly coveted White Birch Fiber Arts skein, I want them to be PERFECT!

Sunday was a busy day for knitting. My sister, Laura, hosted her monthly craft night in Brooklyn, and since I couldn't be there in the flesh, I decided to make an appearance via google hangout instead. Yes, I had a virtual knit night- that epitome of nerdy craftiness! But it was a great time. I waited until Atticus was asleep on Sunday afternoon, then brought my laptop to the back room and set up shop. It was great. I didn't have a project on the needles yet, since I had just finished my striped socks, but I cast on for Zilver by Lisa Mutch using some Dream in Color Smooshy I've had in my stash for ages. The colorway is Giant Peach, and it absolutely lives up to the name- it's a gorgeous peachy tonal color that just screams spring. I'm really happy with how it's knitting up- the yarn and pattern match perfectly.
I think that photo just about captures the full geeky splendor of the moment. Such fun times we live in.

As much as I enjoy working on the Zilver shawl, a finished pair of socks means I needed to cast on for another pair right away- and that's exactly what I did. I did a little stash diving to see if I could resurrect some overlooked yarn and give it another chance at life. I found two little cakes of Plymouth Yarn Happy Feet in red and cast on for the lovely Almondine.
I've been wanting to knit this sock pattern up since I first saw it- and may well make another in a different color, since it's quite an intuitive (and beautiful) knit. I borrowed the Sock Knitting Master Class book from my library (as well as 5 other sock knitting books- can you tell I'm a bit obsessed?), and cast on Almondine during the season 5 premiere of Game of Thrones. The sock (and the show) are both as awesome as I expected. Here's a progress shot:
These socks are going to be a nice addition to my sock drawer- even if I won't really be wearing them until the weather cools down a bit. Who cares- that means Spring is in the air! And it will always get colder, that's a guarantee in the Northeast.

Though I didn't outright buy any yarn this week (crazy, right?!), I *DID* receive my Yarnbox Socks subscription in the mail. Oh, happy day! I opted for the Socks subscription, rather than the traditional yarn subscription because I know myself, and the likelihood of me using up a skein of sock yarn is far greater than any other weight of yarn. Plus, it's cheaper. AND each month includes a sock pattern to knit up! I couldn't say no- and my decision paid off.
I received a skein of Annie Yarn Destiny Sock in the Alaska colorway. It's a luxurious blend of 80% Merino, 10% Cashmere, and 10% Nylon, and it feels divine. So soft, and the color is absolutely gorgeous! I wonder how they braid the skein to look like that, I suppose I'll solve that mystery when I finally decide what to make with it. It's just too nice to wear on my feet. Perhaps another Spring shawlette? Hmmmmm...

That's about it for this week. Besides the knitting, which I think was pretty substantial, I've been brainstorming some projects I want to try so I can use up some of my (many, many) fat quarters of fabric- I just haven't decided what I actually want to do yet. A trip to the craft store for some embroidery floss is in order. Other than embroidery projects, maybe I can dust off my sewing machine and attempt to put together a project bag or two for my knitting- project bags are always handy, and one can never have too many. I'll have to see where and when inspiration strikes. Keep you posted.

Comments

Popular Posts