Fredericton Rocks!

I'll be the first to admit that we didn't get to see all of the cool stuff Fredericton has to offer- far from it. We arrived really late in the day and there was so much construction traffic our wandering spirits were a bit weary (and hungry). I did get some pictures of the gorgeous drive there- we took the scenic route (as usual) which ran parallel to the Saint John River, and past lots of farms and farm stands, including Harvey's Big Potato. It's a Fredericton institution.
Matt told me to be on the lookout for the big potato- he remembered it as a child- and was so excited when we saw it. We had to stop.

There were other beautiful views on the drive, too- but no more gigantic tubers. I didn't get a lot of photos, but here are some of my favorites.
That's the downtown area across the river.

The FredRock Festival was happening that weekend and once we arrived, it was pretty easy to tell that this city is way into their music scene- there were tons of small record shops, music stores with well-loved second hand instruments for sale, and even a record label- and that's just what I was able to find walking around a few blocks downtown! It actually reminded me a lot of the Village back in the day. There was a lot of this everywhere I looked:
Since we drove most of the day, we really only stopped here for lunch and to wander through. We ate at Vault 29, and the weather was nice enough we could take advantage of the outdoor seating on the patio. Their Fat Tony burger was AH-Mazing!!! It totally hit the spot after such a long ride.

We walked up and down the streets pretty aimlessly after lunch, but didn't see much of the waterfront areas- where all the historical landmarks are- because of the festival. Total downer- they looked pretty awesome. I did get to see these cool pay-it-forward Kindness Meters:
I just thought the concept was really cool! Goes to show how a bit of spare change can impact someone's life in a meaningful way. Change is great!

Then it happened. We took a turn on York Street and there it was- Yarns on York, Fredericton's favorite LYS! They had me at the Outlander themed display window.
Sorry for the late afternoon glare- you can check out this Facebook Page for better pics.

While I couldn't find any Canadian yarns (sadly, they were sold out of Turtle Purl), at that point I realized I'd be a fool not to take advantage of the exchange rate, so I grabbed some of my favorites. So much yummy wooly goodness!
As you can see, I got plenty of sock yarn. More of the Regia Design Line by Arne & Carlos- I picked up the Fall Night colorway to add to my collection. I also got a two skeins of Opal- one in the Gallery collection (in the Tanz Der Farben colorway- it means Dance of Color), and one in the Best Friends collection (in the Blutsbruder colorway- it means Blood Brothers). I also nabbed a lovely hank of Alegria by Manos del Uruguay- this yarn is fantastic!

All in all it was a wonderful vacation. I got to experience so many new things, spend quality time with my family, and go home with plenty of memories... And YARN! I can't wait to go stash diving for future projects- so many possibilities.

Comments

Popular Posts