Cake, Creamsicles, and Rainbows

It's been another wonderful week over at Casa Babyfatchance. Not only did we observe America's independence, we got a day off to celebrate my little guy's first birthday! It was a fantastic weekend full of good friends, great conversation, and LOTS of cake (not to mention substantial consumption of alcoholic refreshment). Here's the happiest birthday boy covered in frosting.
Happy Birthday Atticus! 


Now onto the knitting.

My Tan House Brook Shawl coming along really well. I'm about halfway through the textured portion. The rows are starting to get really long, and I've only been doing a few rows a day for that reason. It's a fantastic pattern- it's not particularly complicated, but I can't shake the fear of screwing up and having to tink back 200+ stitches.
I really love the way the Ethereal Fibers yarn is knitting up. The lovely effect of the orange tones really does remind me of Creamsicles, which is totally right up my alley! I'm already envisioning wearing this with some LBDs, jeans, tunics, and pretty much 90% of my wardrobe. I plan on keeping this sparkly beauty on heavy rotation this fall.

I've been working on my Love Wins Socks just before bed and while watching my shows, since stockinette doesn't require much attention (I need mindless knits when the TV is on). I've finished the first tube and am almost done with the second, but I admit that I'm a little apprehensive about the afterthought heel. I've never tried it before, and for some reason I'm a bit anxious about how it will fit, but I know it'll probably be fine. I took copious notes on the construction of these socks (way more than I ever have on a plain vanilla pair) just so I could get the stripes to line up as much as possible. I think I pretty much nailed it!
I'm still not sure if I want to attempt a rainbow stripe on the heel, or if I'll keep it all sky blue. Any thoughts? Either way, I am completely in love with these gorgeous socks (and White Birch Fiber Arts yarn). They will make a fabulous addition to my sock drawer!

Sooo... Now comes the part when I share how I stay up way too late to scroll through pattern pages on Ravelry and add a million more projects into my "To Knit" list... I know I can't be the only one. Don't judge me!

I happened across the Laurel Hat (and KAL in the TV Nerd Knits group on Ravelry), and it went right into my queue. After the time commitment of making shawls, it'll be nice to knock out a quick knit like a hat. It's pretty much the closest I can get to instant gratification without having to learn to crochet (GASP!), and one can never have too many hats when one lives in New England. I will likely use the Yarn Indulgences Zed MCN Worsted yarn in Wokin that I won- it is super duper soft and I think the cables will really pop with the tight spin, plus cashmere is always a joy to work with.

Another project I added to my queue this week was the Over the Sea to Skye Shawl from the While They Play blog (definitely check it out). I don't know when I'll start this, but I *HAVE* to make it! What kind of Outlander fan girl would I be if I passed on this??? It's absolutely beautiful, and the perfect size to take to the beach. I couldn't find enough of the suggested weight yarn in my stash, so this may have to wait a while- perhaps I'll make a note to search for something at Rhinebeck (I better start saving my pennies now).

I hope to finish my Tan House Brook shawl and Love Wins socks this week, if only so I can take some new projects along on vacation. We'll be taking a road trip up to Nova Scotia for a week and checking out the sites. If anyone has some good LYS recommendations I'm all ears! Off I go to clear the needles for some serious car knitting.

Comments

Popular Posts