It's My Birthday...

I'll buy yarn if I want to!

Okay, so I may have overestimated my restraint in the last post, but birthday present yarn doesn't count, right? So what if it's from myself- I'm a thoughtful gift giver!


On that note- check out my score from Birthday Weekend 2015 in New York!
I managed to find two colorways of the Regia Design Line by Arne & Carlos- Star Night is on the left, and Twilight is on the right. I had been hunting this yarn down for a while and my mind was pretty much blown when I saw it at Knitty City just waiting for me to take it home. I also picked up another hank of Tosh Merino Light, since Madelinetosh was the yarn of the month and it was on sale. I HAD TO! The color is called Torchere, and it's a sizzling pink. I got the super cute tote for free as a bonus! If you're ever in the New York City, definitely stop into Knitty City- it is such an adorable store, and the people were so helpful (and enabling).

I've already started socks with the Twilight yarn and am absolutely in love with how it's knitting up.
I cannot put this sock down- I just want to knit one more row to see what pattern shows up next. I cast on for this last night and am already almost done with it, so be warned that knitting with this yarn is basically an addiction.

Speaking of casting on, this weekend I cast on loads the things! I scored a hank of Hedgehog Fibres sock yarn last week from Mosaic Yarn shop on Skeincocaine's Instagram yarn auction (they do this on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights- and it is so awesome- my package of yarn even came with tea and candy- LOVE that!), and the color is called Birthday Cake (!!!), so I thought it was appropriate I cast on for a special birthday project today. This yarn is so soft and pretty, and I wanted something other than socks to work on, so I started the Sockhead Hat. I haven't gotten very far, just a few rows of ribbing, but the yarn is an absolute dream to work with. Here it is- in a nice cake- the very BEST kind of birthday cake I can think of (no calories).
No rush on this project, I really just wanted it on the needles today. I'm a total nerd, I know.

I also started my sister-in-law's birthday present- she's a fellow Taurus, a kick-ass mom, and just an all around awesome lady- she totally deserves some hand-knit goodness! I cast on for another Hitchhiker using Malabrigo Sock in the CaribeƱo colorway. It's so beautiful! I have had this yarn in my stash for ages (I got it at Windsor Button, so that should give you some idea of how long it's been), but I think Mary will love the colors. This pattern is fantastic- and it really showcases the beautiful blues and greens in the yarn.
I still have a long way to go, but I think I can get it done in time.

I finished my Flying North Socks on (my first official) Mother's Day, so that was a very nice treat. I managed to work this pair up in just a week which is pretty good time for me. Though, I did have many hours to knit on the drives to and from New York. I love them so much!
The Toil & Trouble yarn is gorgeous, and I have yet to take a photo which does the subtle color variations justice. I think the tweed flecks work wonderfully with this pattern. These socks came out so well, they are beautiful to look at, and they fit like a dream. It made for a very happy Mother's Day, not to mention very happy feet.

The weekend in New York was lovely. We saw Skylight on Broadway (my big gift from Matt- and an absolutely incredible performance), and I got a chance to catch up with friends, which is always great. My mom took care of Atticus, and I made sure to give her an extra special Mother's Day gift to show my appreciation (which included the Almondine socks I knit up). She could not have been more thrilled- mostly with getting to spend time with Atticus, but I'm sure my knitting had something to do with it as well.

All in all, a wonderful week. Hooray for happy times and celebratory yarn hauls! 

Comments

Popular Posts