DC You Later, Alligator!

It's been a while, but we were in Washington, DC for a few days. The hubs had his big conference there, so Atticus and I tagged along to see the sights and enjoy the suite life for a bit. It was fantastic! The spoils of room service and housekeeping aside, this was a pretty sweet mini-vacation. Of course, I managed to find a yarn shop within walking distance- and the rest is history.

On Sunday Atticus and I took a stroll up Connecticut Avenue to Looped Yarn Works, and found some wonderful local yarns. My haul:
I grabbed the latest issue of Pom Pom Quarterly- which is fabulous! I don't usually buy knitting magazines these days (I tend to get most of my patterns straight from Ravelry), but this publication is fantastic. It's got beautiful pictures, and the patterns are adorable! I will be making a few of the projects in there... Eventually. Hello??? Alcomar is gorgeous! And so is Talavera! Maybe for next Summer. But I'll definitely be testing out that sangria recipe sooner than that.

In my ongoing quest for local yarns when I travel, I got a hank of Wandering Wool Ausable Sock yarn in the Cinderella colorway, which is this lovely muted lavender with grey tones. It's 80% Superwash Merino, 10% Nylon, and 10% Cashmere, so it is ridiculously soft. This dyer is SO local, she actually works at Looped! The lovely ladies in the shop recommended it and it is truly gorgeous.
I also picked up some Dragonfly Fibers Dragon Sock yarn, which is a 100& Superwash Merino. The color is called Mosaic, and it has rich jewel tones that reminded me of stained glass. Not sure what this will be, but I *had* to have it, so home it came.
While Atticus and I were browsing the shelves of goodies, guess who we ran into?
I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Another knitting world celebrity run in- this time with my favorite podcaster, Kemper, from the Junkyarn Podcast! I know I've mentioned her podcast before (because it's awesome), and how I never miss an episode, so it was crazy serendipitous to just see her hanging out and knitting in Looped. I may have gone a little fangirlish... Whoops! We talked for a while and I told her how I had her Bickersstraat sock pattern queued since it came out last month- and she gifted it to me! How incredibly kind and generous was that?! I've decided to knit the socks up in one of the yarns above to make the whole project super DCriffic- that way I can think of my trip every time I wear them! Kemper is just as lovely and friendly in person as she is on the podcast. It was really a pleasure to meet her. It totally made my day.

I did manage to check out some sights (besides Looped) with the little guy in tow. It was ridiculously hot and humid while we were there, but we managed to see the pretty much all the memorials along the National Mall, including a hectic White House (lots of helicopter action). Atticus and I made a day trip to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History while Matt was conferencing it up. It was pretty cool! Here's a gratuitously cute selfie with a baby in front of some geological specimens:
I can't wait to go back when he's a little older. Hopefully the weather will be slightly cooler so my face doesn't melt off. Poor kid- he's so pale I had to slather sunscreen on him constantly. One day he'll laugh when I say "it puts the lotion on its skin," but he didn't seem amused this time. Ah, well.

Not much knitting time this week because of all the jet setting, but I have been diligently plugging away at my sister-in-law's Hitchhiker. I will post pics when it's finished (and after I give it to her), since I don't want to chance ruining the surprise.

Our trip was only a few days, but I had such a good time. I really loved the city and all the sights- and I cannot wait to go back! Good thing this is an annual conference... See you in 2016, DC!

Comments

Popular Posts