A Finished Object and A Fresh Start

Winter is in full swing over here! I'm looking out my window and staring at the fresh blanket of snow on the ground. It's the perfect weather to snuggle up on the couch with a cup of tea and my knitting, so I've been doing a lot of that lately.

My Winter Camp projects are moving right along! I finished my Magdolna hat, my first finished object of 2016. I absolutely love the Knit Picks Capra yarn. The cashmere and wool blend feels so decadent to knit with, and wearing the hat is like a warm hug on my head.
Even the color is wonderful- it's a violet red shade that works so well with my crazy fuchsia hair. I don't think I've taken it off all week! The finished hat weighed in at 72 grams, and with the bonus points for color, theme, and featured designer, I racked up a total of 75 points for Winter Camp. Not bad for my first FO!

I've also started a new pair of socks for camp, since WIPs don't count (I'll finish my Neon Vanilla socks eventually. Sigh.). My Downton Farewell socks with Hedgehog Fibres Sock in the Teacup colorway are officially past the half-way mark. I followed the chart directions without really reading the written directions (bad idea), and noticed on the last row of the last leg repeat that I was doing one of the stitches wrong. Well, I think it looked just fine the way I worked it, so I kept on making the same "mistake" throughout the pattern to keep it consistent. I still adore this sock and cannot wait to finish the second. Here is the first one:
I could not be happier with this sock- it's beautiful! It is so dainty and feminine, and the color and pattern work hand in hand- it is truly lovely! It's been so much fun to work on this while watching the final season of Downton Abbey (the namesake of this pattern). Last night's episode was particularly wonderful- it will be so sad to say goodbye to this series. At least I will have these gorgeous socks to console me- they are fit for Lady Mary herself!

Other than Winter Camp project planning, I've been brainstorming for Suburban Stitcher's Third Annual Rainbow Along- a KAL in February with a rainbow theme. I've never participated before, but I just can't get enough rainbows, so this is right up my alley. I plan on making at least one pair of socks- possibly two. The skein of Must Stash Perfect Sock in the Dark Side of the Moon colorway that I've been hoarding would definitely fit the bill here- along with plenty of others I have in my stash.

Lastly, I'd like to share something I've been thinking about doing for a long time- opening up an Etsy shop for my knitting. This has been an idea of mine for many years, but I never had the courage to put myself out there that way. Well, I finally decided that this was the year to do it, so By babyfatchance is live on Etsy! So far I only have a few items up for sale- mostly shawls that I enjoyed knitting, but haven't really worn (many of them I've never worn). I'm considering it a trunk sale of sorts, with more items to be added as I complete them. Since making my shop public I've gotten lots of interest in my socks- which is awesome! I've already gotten two commissions for pairs of socks that I'm currently working on, and hopefully more to come. I'm really excited to see how this endeavor goes, and very happy I decided to finally take the plunge.

2016 is off to a great start so far, and I'm eager to share all the action to come with you, my crafty friends!

Comments

Popular Posts