Sock Futures

Can you believe it's October already? Fall is in full effect, and it's been another good week for knitting. I managed to get a few things done, put a dent in some WIPs I've had lingering about, and even received some good news! Hooray!

I finished A Little DNA hat for Atticus. This was a test knit for Sarah Stevens of Oh! Loops Etsy shop and Podcast. I absolutely love this pattern! It was very well written, and super clear. It was a nice, quick knit- I made this one in an afternoon, during nap time- and looks adorable.
I'll definitely be knitting this again (and again, and again), probably in the larger size- since Atticus seems to be growing at a ridiculous rate. I'd also like to try it in worsted weight, rather than the bulky that the pattern calls for. I used Cascade 128 Superwash so I'd be able to throw it in the machine when it inevitably gets gross (Boys. AMIRITE?!). I highly recommend it, and you'll certainly be seeing more of these from me. With a model this cute, how could I not?

I also finished another pair of socks. I whipped up these Star Night socks out of some Regia Arne & Carlos I had in my stash. I love the colors, and how the patterning worked up in just the plain stockinette.
I still have two more balls of this stuff in another colorway in my stash. It always amazes me how beautiful a plain vanilla sock works up in this yarn. I want to make another pair with the last of it in my stash, but I don't want to not have any left! The only solution for this problem is to get more and hoard it. Obviously.

WIPs this week are bittersweet. Yesterday the last clue of Summertide Shawl MKAL was revealed. Cue sobbing. I have really enjoyed this pattern and even though I can't wait to wear the finished shawl, I am kind of bummed out that it's over.  While I really don't want to show it here until it's completely finished, I'll be nice and give you a sneak peek of last week's progress on Clue #3...
It pretty much looks like colorful ramen noodles since the lace is all squished up, so you'll just have to come back to see what the finished shawl looks like post blocking! I'm giving myself until next week to get it off the needles, properly soaked, blocked, and ready to show off. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

Here's the bitter WIP... Ugh! I need to finish these Mosaic striped socks I've been working on for forever. I've decided I'll complete them for the Socktober KAL hosted by the Carolina Fiber Girls. Apparently I need to have a KAL to motivate me. Whatever it takes. So far I've been making pretty good progress, but I'm still not in love with working socks two-at-a-time. I did end up separating these for the heels (I did Fish Lips Kiss heels concurrently), then rejoined to knit both at the same time.
I just want these done. I am trying to resist the urge to cast on another pair of socks until these are finished. It's soooo hard! Come on, it's SOCKTOBER! And it's getting cold out there- my feet need to be toasty at all times!

Alright... I might make an exception for the Agatha, a sock pattern recently published by Claire of the NH Knits Podcast. She's hosting a KAL in her Ravelry group, and these socks are just so lovely! I'll be pulling some yarn out of my out of my stash for this, but haven't decided yet on which one. There are so many contenders, but I am fairly certain I'll try something from one of my Yarnbox Socks shipments, since I haven't actually used any of those precious skeins yet. Decisions, decisions.

The only thing I've treated myself to this week was a project bag from mad bird. Oh, how I love this fabric! It's such a nice, roomy bag, and I love how the lining and handle pattern are such a bright contrast.
I'm trying my absolute hardest not to buy any yarn before Rhinebeck- it is taking every ounce of self control I have! Fortunately, project bags aren't yarn (mwahahahahahahahaha!)... So there might be a few more goodies headed to my mailbox soon.

In other exciting news this week, I won the TV Nerd Knits Lilith KAL for September! Thanks, Random Number Generator. Up for grabs to the winner (me!) was an awesome skein of yarn dyed by Megan herself- so, sooo cool! I should have that scrumptious hand dyed goodness coming my way very soon. Check out Red Umbrella Yarns to score some of your very own. It'll be perfect for knitting up October's TV Nerd Knits KAL, the Grimes shawl (which, incidentally, is on sale for this KAL- so go and download it quickly to save yourself some cash).

I've been pretty lucky with KAL prizes of late, so I'm going to keep participating in hopes of padding my stash without having to pull out my credit card (that often). Come join some KALs with me, and maybe some of my luck will rub off on you!

Talk to you again soon- hopefully with some finished objects to show. Happy Socktober!



Comments

Popular Posts